Thursday, July 30, 2009

Drake Refused Kanye West’s Offer To Remake “Best I Ever Had” Video

Some fans liked it, some fans were scratching their heads after the debut of Drake’s “Best I Ever Had” video last month. Some in the blogosphere said the clip’s buxom female basketball team did nothing but cater to the male audience without matching the theme of the song; others just thought it wasn’t all that creative. And a couple of bloggers even went so far as to suggest that director Kanye West sabotaged Drake’s production.

In fact, Drake told MTV News that West offered to shoot another video for the song, and he declined. He noted that receiving mixed reviews of his clip was a great lesson.

“That career move was very important to me,” he explained at the America’s Most Wanted Music Festival kickoff in Scranton, Pennsylvania. “We’ve done such a great job of building it all up. It’s kind of like people were getting this impression of me that I’m never gonna make a mistake. I’m not made of Teflon. I’m gonna do things for myself sometimes, as opposed to what people want me to do.”

Drake said the abundance of big-breasted women in the video didn’t put up any red flags that the video would offend anyone. He enjoyed the final cut of the video and thought it was right on point.

“If you listen to the song, I’m not saying the most graceful thing in the world. It’s not the most heartfelt song,” Drizzy continued. “I say some pretty wild things in regards to women in the actual song. When me and Kanye were in the studio working on a song for Big Sean, we were talking about it. We saw a comedic element to it. I felt that the climate in the world right now, everything in the world is so serious all the time, my life is serious, I just wanted to laugh, instead of taking myself too serious as the heartthrob and walking hand-in-hand into the movies and taking my shirt off. I felt it’s not that time for me yet. Or maybe never. I’m a very multifaceted person. One thing I told ‘Ye is, ‘I really want to act. I want to act in this video.’ ”

Kanye convinced him that the only way to be humorous was to go all the way with it and make it a full on funny video.

“I guess one thing I didn’t consider is what the song personally means to a lot of women,” Drake said. “To those women, I apologize. I do apologize. My intention wasn’t to put anyone down. It was to make them laugh. I wanted people to see something visually different.”

Don’t worry, Drake, judging by your reception at Monday’s AMW show, the fans still love you.

1 comment:

  1. the vid had its funny moments...overall it was just okay, I think it couldve been more creative since the song was so big

    ReplyDelete